Kiev :)
Friday, October 1, 2010
Culture Shock
Of all the ideas we've learned this week the one that I took to the most was culture shock. This is when a person is submerged into a different culture and everything is strange to them and they aren’t sure how to act. The reason this stuck to me is because I experience it on almost a daily basis with my grandma. We moved from Ukraine 13 years ago and she lives with us. Everything I do she has to criticize because it seems weird to her. When I went to homecoming and had to get my date a flower for his lapel she was so beyond confused she thought was making it up. I used to think that because of globalization American culture had spread to most of the world, but that’s not completely true. The former Soviet Union and China would never have accepted such ideas and so some people will never understand us. So just like that lady who thought it was perfectly normal to leave her baby outside in New York , many people will experience culture shock as it is natural when you move from place to place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha really? I had no idea that the flower idea was only unique to the USA, or other countries. I thought that was a pretty standard thing for dances and gatherings in most countries.
ReplyDelete