Kiev :)

Kiev :)

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Social Imagination

 When we went over social imagination in class, I was a little taken aback. We've always been told we are shaped by our environment but the Outliers story really opened my eyes. It's hard to look at a story like that and realize that everything would be very different if this little town hadn't been formed. These people would have been just like the rest of America and would never have shown the world how much we affect each other. At first this shocked me because the concept of social imagination is kind of scary; we would be completely different people if we lived somewhere else. I started thinking about this and it reminded me a little of my grandmother. She was raised in Soviet Ukraine, and her surroundings greatly affected her. She doesn’t believe in religion because she was never allowed to, everything is supposed to be extremely clean because they had so few nice things back then that they wanted to show that they can keep what they do have in order, and she still sometimes worries about little things, such as someone dropping an apple, because back then they had so little. This is how she was affected by her society and the social imagination is very different from mine because of where I grew up and my influences. Such as my school and my friends in America.

1 comment:

  1. I agree about the idea that it's crazy that if we grew up somewhere else and would be a completely different person person. I think you explained that well with the example of your grandma, and I can kind of relate because part of my family is from Ukraine too.

    ReplyDelete