Kiev :)
Sunday, September 12, 2010
Where do i stand?
This week we did an exercise where we had to write down what groups we identify ourselves in, I had the basic: family, friends, Stevenson, sports; categories down but when we had to choose which ones represented us and influenced us the most I started to think. Most of us would identify ourselves in similar ways (sister, brother, son daughter, student, classmate ect.) so what makes something influence one of us more then it does another? Why am I so influenced by my friends while someone else who also has a lot of friends is influenced greatly by Stevenson? I mean isn’t this where society's influence is greatest? I came to the realization that while society is important and ties us all together, it’s our specific environments that change what is most important to us. I grew up in a house where a strong emphasis was put on having a healthy balance between everything you do. For instance I have a job and I watch my brother and I’m a fighter and i'm a student and I hang out with friends; all of these things shape who I am and make my role as a friend stand out because it is one that I need to always remember to make time for it. But someone else may have been told, since childhood, that nothing is more important then education. We were raised in the same society, but our environments are very different. I now see the difference between environment and the society. I then began to think about people who are strained to have more then one role as their main one. So they might be influenced by sports and school and strive to achieve there ultimate potential in both areas, I never had that problem but with this understanding i’m worried about these people! If it’s so hard to fit into one role, how can they always manage to fit into two?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It is very true when you said "we were raised in the same society, but our environments are very different." I agree with this. I see that you are from Ukraine..I come from a European family as well, so the way I do things, may not be the way someone else does things. As people, we all live in the same society, but it's the different things within the society that affects us as individuals.
ReplyDeleteNice realization - you are thinking with a sociological imagination! Maybe those people are worried about people like you! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt is so true what you mentioned about how your environment is what shapes you. Each person is effected by the environment they are apart of and they are all taught different things, forming their morals and beliefs. This greatly affects the way they act and what is important to them, whether it be school, sports, friends or anything else.
ReplyDelete