Kiev :)
Monday, November 22, 2010
Extreme Deviance
We watched a video where a man spent thirty days, well actually only 25, in jail being treated like any other inmate. The jail itself really surprised me. It was absolutely dehumanizing. Some of there prisoners didn't have a thing coming out of the wall to sleep on, they had to shower in front of everyone and they weren't even allowed to go outside. These men were living an absolutely non-human existence and some of them even had bigger needs that should have been addressed. There was one man in there with a heroine addiction going through withdrawal, he needed actual help but it wasn’t until he got to the other prison that he got it. Another thing that really struck me was that after release two prisoners, the heroine guy and the old respected guy ended up back in jail. The had seemed so promising and I thought their freedom was a sure thing but I was wrong. They don’t really rehabilitate them in normal jails, which I believe is a mistake because how are they supposed to go back and interact with normal society after that if they’re treated as less then people and get nothing out of it. Another aspect of this video that really scared me was the guy going through heroic withdrawal; I have a friend that used to do drugs and it got pretty bad but they're clean now and have been for a few years. It was one of my friends from back in Ukraine . After seeing the heroic guy go through withdrawal, I called my friend and basically threatened him if he ever gets back on drugs.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Haha - I think it was more of a heroin withdrawal than heroic withdrawal :-) I wonder what helped get your friend through it - was it counseling or family support or something else?
ReplyDeleteboth, well more family then any kind of public program.
ReplyDelete