Kiev :)

Kiev :)

Friday, December 3, 2010

Just a game?

So this week we played monopoly in class, as a child I used to love that game. I thought it was all about making money and bankrupting others, only part of that still holds true. The version we played was meant to simulate real life social classes and we were trying to either stat where we were at or climb up in social class. I was in the lower upper class and it was pretty easy for me to stay where I was because I already had a lot of money and property. But the people below me kept on losing money and it was insanely difficult for them to stay out of bankruptcy. I never really thought about this in real life. I knew there were social classes, of course, and that some people had more money then others. But I didn’t think about how hard people try to maintain where they are. I mean we lose money everyday on simple stuff like food and clothes, but then again it’s not always the simple stuff. People like luxury, even in food and clothes. So if you have money you constantly lose it to health and label concerns. With all of this going on it’s not a wonder people try so hard to stay where they are at. My family went from having nothing in Ukraine, to being middle, middle class here. I’ve realized my whole life how hard my parents try but we're still like everyone else. We spend money on things and it’s a wonder we still are where we are. I want new things, so does my brother and so do my parents, thankfully we have the money to buy them. But if we keep buying them will we always have the money? If life is a big monopoly game, then as I have noticed most of the time the rich stay afloat and the rest sink below them.

No comments:

Post a Comment