Kiev :)

Kiev :)

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Culture Shock

Today in class culture, both material and non-material, was compared to a fish bowl. One of the things that stuck out to me in this metaphor was the idea of culture shock. I knew, from Human Geography, that culture shock is when people with one culture are brought into a different one and they experience "Culture shock" because everything is so different. But the fishbowl really got me thinking about it. The example used was the owner wanting the fish to swim into the castle, but that’s not what the fish wants because this wouldn’t have occurred out in the ocean that it is used to. This aggravates the owner. In real life thought I never thought about people being aggravated when others are confused due to them being new to the surroundings. Stevenson ahs exchange students all the time and most people are really nice about it. They treat the new students well because they know that these kids dot speak the language or aren’t used to the way things are. But then I thought about my new neighbor, she is an exchange student from Germany. She speaks English pretty well but she struggles with some words and concepts. I was talking to her about homecoming and she said they didn’t have anything like that back in Germany and she didn’t really know what to wear or how to act. Whets more I found it difficult to explain some things to her because she didn’t have the vocabulary to understand. This wasn’t really aggravating because I could see that she was trying really hard, but I could see how it would irritate someone if they really needed to get a concept through to her.

4 comments:

  1. Nice example, VI! Also - like the connection to APGeo. Be careful about mentioning the school name though, okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked your connection with the German exchange student and I agree that sometimes it's hard to deal with a culture shock but it can be an eye-opening experience as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can agree that it is frustrating sometimes when people experience culture shock. I think that when we do get frustrated, we should just take a step back and think about why things are the way they are. And also, think about how the other person is feeling. People might get frustrated with the German girl because she can't understand a lot, but I'm sure she feels just as uncomfortable and insecure about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that culture shock can be challenging to deal with some time but I loved your example about your neighbors german exchange student! It is hard to communicate with someone when language is a barrier but it is a rewarding experience!

    ReplyDelete